Do you have a passion for making things entirely by hand or appreciate it in other people? In my teens and twenties, I got a thrill out of being my own mechanic on my old '75 Mustang. Yep, I've changed a few water pumps and brake pads. I have sewn every stitch of handmade rag dolls with a needle and thread (no machine stitching), and I prefer to cook from scratch. Isn't it much more rewarding to gather family and friends to put in fence posts, and raise barns? So naturally for me, prepping the fleece, learning to spin, and then making things from the alpacas' luscious fiber is my idea of happiness! -Kaylen

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Neck Wrestling

I hope you had a wonderful holiday season.  Our Christmas has been joyous and peaceful, and I'm really enjoying the start of the new year.  I joined a spinning group. Yay! Making new friends!


It was severely cold for a few weeks and our boys found a way to keep warm!  Peruvian Mystery is two now and has decided to show his dominance. He even takes on Ringo, our llama, who is three times his size!  

When the machos face off they neck wrestle, 

chase each other around the pasture at breakneck speeds, try and bite each other in "private areas", 

and squeal loudly.  

When it gets really heated this happens! 


Males grow fighting teeth that can seriously injure another animal so those have to be filed down when they come in. So far our boys don't have their fighting teeth, but we'll have to keep an eye out for them.


I can only imagine what Mataeus might be saying now that things have calmed down.... "Do you think the girls were watching?"

The weather has returned to normal temperatures for January and it is time to return to quiet winter days.  Ahhhh!  Oh, and I have a new favorite cake!  I will post the recipe for you soon.  I want to make it again and take pictures.  It is a Cranberry Swirl Coffee Cake and heads to the top of my list for easy and scrumptious! 

No comments: