Do you have a passion for making things entirely by hand or appreciate it in other people? In my teens and twenties, I got a thrill out of being my own mechanic on my old '75 Mustang. Yep, I've changed a few water pumps and brake pads. I have sewn every stitch of handmade rag dolls with a needle and thread (no machine stitching), and I prefer to cook from scratch. Isn't it much more rewarding to gather family and friends to put in fence posts, and raise barns? So naturally for me, prepping the fleece, learning to spin, and then making things from the alpacas' luscious fiber is my idea of happiness! -Kaylen

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

My New Wonder Washer

It was suggested to me to try a Wonder Washer for my felting process. Perhaps other fiber artists have already discovered this but it is new to me and I am pretty excited about it. A Wonder Washer is a small portable washing machine.  When I knit a bowl or pouch, I then have to wet felt it.  Which is like shrinking your favorite sweater.  I usually use my full-size washing machine, but it uses a lot of water and is harder to control the outcome.  So I gave the Wonder Washer a try over the weekend.  I am really happy with it but will need a little practice.

The first thing I had ready to felt was one of my pouches.  

I can tell you without a doubt that the washer did an excellent job at felting but it is supposed to look more like THIS...

Not THIS.... (Laughing at myself here)

I left it in a little too long!  No matter.  I found a home for it as something else and will definitely try again.

No comments: