Do you have a passion for making things entirely by hand or appreciate it in other people? In my teens and twenties, I got a thrill out of being my own mechanic on my old '75 Mustang. Yep, I've changed a few water pumps and brake pads. I have sewn every stitch of handmade rag dolls with a needle and thread (no machine stitching), and I prefer to cook from scratch. Isn't it much more rewarding to gather family and friends to put in fence posts, and raise barns? So naturally for me, prepping the fleece, learning to spin, and then making things from the alpacas' luscious fiber is my idea of happiness! -Kaylen

Monday, June 21, 2010

Ice Cream Sandwich Cake

Oreo & Fudge Ice Cream Cake

Here is a great summer cake using ice cream sandwiches!  This recipe gets 5 stars from over 1300 people at the Kraft Kitchen website.  I found it a few years ago in Southern Living Magazine. It is easy and no heating up the kitchen! The kids and I made it for Father's Day yesterday and the biggest problem we had was not eating all of the ingredients along the way.  Slice it thin; it is rich! 
Serves 12

What you need!

1/2 cup hot fudge ice cream topping, warmed
1 tub  (8 oz.) COOL WHIP Whipped Topping, thawed
1 pkg. (3.9 oz.) JELL-O Chocolate Instant Pudding
8   OREO Cookies, chopped
12 vanilla ice cream sandwiches
24-inch long piece of foil

What to do!

POUR fudge topping into medium bowl. 
Whisk in 1 cup of the Cool Whip. 
Add dry pudding mix; stir 2 min. 
Stir in chopped cookies.

ARRANGE 4 ice cream sandwiches, side-by-side on the foil.
Top with half the fudge and cookie mixture.
Repeat layers.
Top with remaining 4 sandwiches.
Frost top and sides with remaining Cool Whip.
Bring up foil sides, double fold top and ends to loosely seal packet.
FREEZE 4 hours or until firm.
Note:
The consistency of fudge topping can vary depending 
on what brand you purchase. If the fudge topping mixture 
is too thick to spread easily, stir in 1/4 cup milk.

No comments: