Do you have a passion for making things entirely by hand or appreciate it in other people? In my teens and twenties, I got a thrill out of being my own mechanic on my old '75 Mustang. Yep, I've changed a few water pumps and brake pads. I have sewn every stitch of handmade rag dolls with a needle and thread (no machine stitching), and I prefer to cook from scratch. Isn't it much more rewarding to gather family and friends to put in fence posts, and raise barns? So naturally for me, prepping the fleece, learning to spin, and then making things from the alpacas' luscious fiber is my idea of happiness! -Kaylen

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Garage Visitors

Rescuing critters from the garage seems to be a summertime 
farm ritual.  

Male Ruby-throated Hummingbird

Hummers are a routine rescue.  Some say they might be attracted to the door's red emergency release handle. This little one got tuckered out trying to find his way. I was able to take him to a feeder.


American Toad

Then there is Mr. Toad.  For three summers we've found him making himself at home under things like pool rafts.  Last week I opened the garage door and there he was sitting on the other side waiting to come in again!


Rat Snake

Last year it was this friend that caught us by surprise.  It was our first encounter of the snake kind and Handsome Husband was a real trooper.  I'm okay with the toads and birds, but I think I'll leave the big 'uns for the tough guy.


No comments: