Do you have a passion for making things entirely by hand or appreciate it in other people? In my teens and twenties, I got a thrill out of being my own mechanic on my old '75 Mustang. Yep, I've changed a few water pumps and brake pads. I have sewn every stitch of handmade rag dolls with a needle and thread (no machine stitching), and I prefer to cook from scratch. Isn't it much more rewarding to gather family and friends to put in fence posts, and raise barns? So naturally for me, prepping the fleece, learning to spin, and then making things from the alpacas' luscious fiber is my idea of happiness! -Kaylen

Friday, May 28, 2010

Taming Of The Shrew

Jolene was my first alpaca crush.  Four years ago she just captured my heart with those big big eyes. So we started out with one alpaca and  boarded her at a friend's farm while we increased our herd size and made our farm ready. Besides being an emotional purchase Jolene has been a wonderful mom. She has easy births...perfect for our first experiences.

All was fine until we brought her home last May.  Then we discovered this one issue. When we'd get too close she'd stand her ground and spit at us instead of moving along in the direction we were guiding her. Hey!  She isn't supposed to do that!  Alpacas typically spit at each other, not so much at humans unless they are really annoyed.  Hmph.  I think she was saying "ROOKIES"!

After a year of improving our handling skills Jolene has been much easier to halter and lead. She has been much easier on shot day each month, too. I've forgiven her for pulling my hair with her mouth and squealing in my ear and the spitting after her most recent cria was born. But I really didn't know she'd forgiven me .... until today.


1 comment:

Lindy and Paul said...

That is really cute! Congrats on taming your difficult girl.